Thursday, July 12, 2007

My Pursuit of Happyness

Having read an article from the Singapore Law Gazette on whether lawyers are happy. The conclusion was that they have to find something outside the long waits in the Family Court to make them smile and to know what life is all about. So technically speaking, lawyers are a very unhappy bunch as much as most of you out there are envious with the money they make. Some lawyers, especially Moms, realise that while in practice, they do not spend sufficient time with their kids. They will try to slow down and hence, moving in-house. It may be ironic for me to say this since i do in-house recruitment. More often than not, the hours aren't exactly much better although there will be some form of improvement. Then again, most are enjoying the in-house part alot more than practice because they only have one client, THE Company.

I've decided at a very early stage why i don't wanna do my bar and go into recruitment because i can't stand hours in practice and after you hear the whinings of current lawyers and sniggers of ex-lawyers, you seriously wouldn't want to put any one of your foot in. Having said that, the real reason why I didn't quite do my bar and be caught wearing one of those wigs and robes was because i couldn't afford it. "Oscarised" - I hear you, i know i can get a loan but then again, it's too much of a hassle. Besides the potential of making money in recruitment is realising itself. As for "Drunk Barrister in Making", he's the only one determined to be made Barrister and once you read his blog, you will know what I'm talking about. All his rantings revolves around the constitution and miscarriages of justice. At least he's loving it. Isn't that the ultimate goal we're all seeking?

Frankly, i wouldn't know how much I'd love recruitment and having missed out a year or two doing my pupillage in law firms, I know I'm missing out some invaluable skills I'd learn in practice. Maybe it's sour grape when i say i don't wanna go into practice, that's cuz i can't. Well, it is. Then again, seeing those idiots in the courts (Twiggy - Not implying anything. I'm NOT talking about you. Really!), I'm glad I'm happily going for lunches with candidates and clients.

So have i achieve seeking the ultimate happyness? Well without a car nor a house, with Mom screaming at me to move out everyday, I guess I haven't quite reach the stage but i know I will get there. Besides, i really love recruitment. If only i could recruit at my own time own target and getting some sun as and when i want it.... That would be the route to happyness...

End of the day, i wanna be driving my Black Saab with its hood down cruising down some beach/mountain, stopping once in a while to rest and enjoy the breeze but still have my Blackberry working my way.

2 comments:

Marquis_De_Sade said...

"Drunk Barrister in Making"

I got a strange feeling that it refers me.

*pout*

So mean one....

*cry... runs off and hide behind the bar area*

(see http://roomiewanted.blogspot.com)

BlackCookie said...

ya it's you...