Monday, April 21, 2008

Superwoman

My idea of being the superwoman to my man is to be the good wife and mother but what makes a good wife and mother?

This trip to Yangon truly opened my eyes to how different cultures view their values and roles as a woman/wife/mother. Women my age would have been married and possibly already have a couple of kids by now. Take for example, May Thet Kyaw (I'm using her real name because you probably wouldn't know her and she's the best person I've ever met in my life and is probably my new role model). She's married to Jewell's brother and I'm telling you, he's the luckiest man on earth. May's like the best hostess ever. Since the minute we landed, she took care of our every need. She was always there to help us and always keeping a lookout. She paid for all our dinners and refused to let us pay for anything. We barely used any money while we were there because everyone's just so warm and hospitable.


May Thet Kjaw first from right.

May has 3 kids, 2 boys and 1 girl, eldest is about 12 or 13 years old. (Mind you, she's just 4 years older than me). They are all superbly disciplined and the little one, Phu Phu, my personal favourite, is just a sweetie. Of the 8 days that we were there and being in the same car with the kids to and from the beach resort, we have never heard them cry or whine. The kids all have their maids or servants or playmates tagging along all the time but they will never be out of their mother's sight.

As a traditional Burmese woman, she's not allowed to run her own business and even if her husband is against her going out and working for dough, she wanted to do something she liked. So now, she runs a boutique and regularly travels to Bangkok to stock up. She is the epitome of what the Chinese describes as able to walk into the kitchen and at the same time, able to walk out of the living room.

Did I forget to mention, she's beautiful as in slim, nice skin, gorgeous features?

Just a note on the side for many women who tend to forget that they are wives after they became mothers. Not that I think it's a bad thing but we should never forget the foundation of having a family. Unless you were match-made, a family unit always grows on the foundation of love, the love that's being built between and man and wife unit. I actually saw that trait in Mom and I couldn't stop but tell her how much I love her. Taken from one of Oprah's episode, "First a wife, then a mother."

No comments: