Monday, March 09, 2009

Concert Goers vs Concert Etiquette?

Daftbitch flew back last Wednesday and got really distressed with the flight changes because she had to be back for Jason Mraz' concert in Singapore on Thursday. This is one concert I'd really love to attend but I didn't. For someone with all his albums in the car's CD changer, I really appreciated his music but not quite a die-hard fan. Having watched his clips on YouTube, this man is an absolutely awesome live performer.

Over the weekend, I managed to catch some short clips people posted taken of the concert. Before I go on, you might think I'm saying this because of sour grapes but it's not. I just wanted to share my views on my observations. Most of the clips I saw had enthusiastic concert goers singing along with Jason Mraz who was doing his live gig. It seems almost like karaoke and I felt that concert goers weren't appreciating the live act. The difference between paying to watch him live because it's live and you're not gonna hear the same thing on the CDs. Then again, I must admit had I attended the concert on Thursday, I'd sing along too if the mood was right and true enough, I wasn't there to gauge. But that wasn't my point. Is it something about Singaporeans that we need to participate and sing along and can't just appreciate a concert for what it is. As concert goers, should be observe some kind of etiquette or decorum? I'm not an angel and definitely not a Stomper. But it also acts as a review on myself when I catch myself singing along when someone else is trying to appreciate his/her music. I'm definitely guilty of disrupting someone else's music or appreciation of other form of arts but what I'm trying to bring forward is the extra bit of consciousness in sparing a thought for others during public shows like these.

If you need to flame and blast at me, go ahead. I will approve every comment with no reservations.

1 comment:

Blessed One. said...

Actually... going to concerts "just to listen to the artist" is boring!

Furthermore, the singer always wants crowd participation! And the only way to show that you're participating is to sing along!

Whilst your concerns about ruining the total experience of other concert goers, thats where you're quite wrong. When we go to our few New Creation sessions, don't you feel the whole atmosphere of the stadium? The thunderous volume of sheer voices singing as one is very overwhelming! It's the same for concerts!

And on another point, when people use their digital cams to record the concert, the small mic that is available on the camera can only record the sound in very short distances clearly, so it seems like the singer is "distant and disturbed".

However this is very different in reality. With their huge speakers and properly tuned volumes, you almost have to shout before you can hear yourself! The singer's ability to sing well or not, can still be clearly distinguished.

Too bad you missed the great experience, although I felt that it was reaaaally too short (1.5hrs), compared to the chinese concerts.

B.