Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Dream Home

These couple of weeks/months have been filled with people who bought houses, buying houses and planning to buy houses. Childhood friend bought his nest a while ago before taking the plunge recently but his Mom reminded me during the dinner, "you must have a house first before you can step into a marriage or else you might end up with no where to stay". True enough, considering the fact that I don't plan to live with my parents or in-laws. I've always stood by the age old belief that it's easy to get along with others when you meet occassionally but not when you're living together and see one another every single day. To keep everything simple and nice, it's only best to be on your own. Ideally, not be too far away from the parents and in-laws as they can always pop by to have a look when you're away or when the kids need to run to someone when there's no parent at home.

Daftbitch is funnier with her version of getting her in-laws involved. It basically involves the in laws covering a huge chunk of the house that is going to guarantee her kids to good schools within that 2km radius so these couple of months, she's been hunting high and low but what really tickles me is that someone who is as crazy as myself (if not, worse) as Daftbitch, is worried over the most nitty gritty when it comes to her house. Well, I guess if you're talking about your little nest, all that may seem insignificant, actually really matters. I would imagine myself to be even more fussy and anal when it comes to my turn.

I know of a few couples who just settles for whatever/whereever HDB "blesses" them with or whatever that comes along the way. Others are happy living with their in-laws because of unique situations where more often, it involves an unplanned little one. If given a choice, my house would be cosy. (Read: Small)

Having big spaces isn't really an issue for me although a nice view would serenade me every evening. As long as the house has its bare necessity (which includes a wardrobe, a fully functional kitchen, a family room, a bedroom, etc), size really doesn't matter. Smaller spaces will also mean an easier job when it comes to cleaning up. By the way, answering some of the voices, small is not equivalent to cramp.

More importantly, home is made up of the people and not the sheer space. Although it would be nice if things are made comfortable, without it, life still goes on. A home is what you make out of the house. Having said that, the way the place is gonna be done up will need special attention. As long as it's cosy with the right occupants...

1 comment:

daftbitch said...

i still got no house... haven't been looking.
I want my shoes, and clothes first...
maybe when i settle down a bit more... then find my home.

2km doesn't guarantee you somemore. I must now learn how to cook, clean, sew, gardening...
or perform magic... to volunteer my services to the school to guarantee my FUTURE kid gets into the FUTURE school.

That being said, i still don't have a rock on my hand