Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Lao Ban Soya Beancurd @ Old Airport Road Food Centre

I rarely write food reviews but here's one...

After an incredibly satisfying dinner at Akashabu @ Kallang Leisure Dome, we proceeded to Old Airport Road Food Centre to pack food for BluePotatoes' parents. When we got there, I remembered someone mentioned some famous beancurd there but we didn't know which one it was. Then I saw a lady with 10 boxes of this Lao Ban Soya Beancurd and then I saw bags and bags of them carried by everyone around me. I was thinking, "it's gotta be quite good then..."

The queue was not very long with about 4-5 people before us and we got the loot quite easily. Within the queue, there were these teenagers (years of faint memory to me...) and you would bet your last dollar that they will not allow themselves to suffer to eat bad food, let alone queue for it.

If you're looking for HOT tau huey, you've come to the wrong place. It's all cold and after eating it, I knew why.

The Taste


Texture was awesome, really smooth but to be fair, there are some tao huey that are even softer and smoother as I slide my spoon in. The moment the tao huey went into my mouth, I was thrown off. It tasted so rich in soya bean milk, almost like I'm drinking from a box of Vitasoy. It wasn't too sweet. The surprise is in the state of the tao huey. It was jelly/pudding-like with that familiar hardened top look from any dessert with gelatin in it. But the very moment the blob of tao huey settles in your mouth, it disintegrates into soya bean milk instead. I needed to eat mouthful after mouthful of tao huey to just be able to vaguely describe the feeling. It was a rather pleasant experience.

However, it was not something I want to particularly shout about. I would recommend anyone to try it if they are at Old Airport Road for dinner but personally, I wouldn't go out of the way to get it. I'm also being unfair as I have special preference for hot hot tao huey.

I would say... Give it a try, you'll never know if you might fall in love with it.

Location: Picture taken from Google Maps

No comments: