Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Ruth's Chris Steak House

Finally our very own Ruth's Chris Steak House, a new haven for beef lovers like me?

I've decided to surprise Watziznehm by bringing him for an unexpected treat. To cheer him up on a lousy day, I made reservations at Ruth's Chris. The phone call should have been an indication of the service I was going to get. The girl was definitely polite but she couldn't make out what she was trying to say and I could barely understand her. She couldn't even get numbers right when I was trying to recite my phone number out to her! I wanted to make reservations for 7pm but I was told they only have spots for 6.30pm or 7.30pm. And so, I settled for 7.30pm thinking I won't be able to make it in time for 6.30pm. She also asked if it was for any special occasion like an anniversary, I just replied yes because it was... Just a couple of days late.

Expecting a full house at 7.15pm, I was made to wait at the door for 10 mins while they sorted out the seating. When I was finally led through the restaurant... Surprise! It was almost empty. Clearly, a well-suited manager seemed to be waiting on a table of food bloggers armed with flashing cameras and paying customers like us are left waiting for service? Besides, the slew of inconsiderate strong flashes continued interrupting our dinner. To be fair, our server was really attentive and during times when we understood what he was trying to say, he was marvellous. But I just couldn't figure out, why wasn't I able to start my meal at 7pm?

First to serve up was the blue crab cake. It was served on these incredibly hot plates which sizzles when you squeeze the beautifully wrapped lemon on it. The taste was beautifully sweet and every mouthful was tender, fresh, real crab meat. One little "but" though, it appears as if the entire dish was supposed to be served hot. Crabs are naturally cold so I wasn't afraid it was uncooked since they would have blanched it. But the inside of the dome shaped crab cake was significantly cooler than the exterior of the cake. I suspect it was quickly heated up before it was served but the time in the oven was perhaps a tad short. Nonetheless, it was still our favourite dish of the day. I will give it a 8.5 out of 10.

And because the crab cake wasn't as ginormous as how some bloggers described it to be, we had to add the BBQ shrimps to our order. I can only say the dish is overpriced and taste wise, it belongs to one with an acquired tongue. It was definitely a little better than average but it's a feeling that leaves one wanting. The spices were incredible so maybe I'm just unappreciative. 6 out of 10

Now comes the main part although in other circumstances, I would have labelled it as "the best part". Similarly, the plate was sizzling hot but only the part of the steak that was in contact with the plate was hot! The rest of the meat was cool-ish. Well, I understand as a medium rare steak, I shouldn't be asking for a full hot steak but c'mon, it's at least hot on the outside! It was so disappointing because it was supposed to be our highlight! The beef was a good quality USDA ribeye with the right amount of marbling but I couldn't decide if the kitchen murdered the steak or if it was meant to be served this way. The steak was served perfectly medium rare as per my request but unexpectedly, cooler than Charlie Brown. It was very reasonable priced though. 6.5 out of 10

As for the au gratin, which I ordered as accompaniment to the steak, was a complete waste of time. It was the only dish that was piping hot but the taste was ordinary and cheese didn't felt like it was of superior quality. I couldn't rate this dish... I gave up after 2 mouthfuls.

At the end of the dinner, I was too stuffed and didn't want to try the cheesecake. Besides, I couldn't take anymore disappointment. That's said, it's probably a very reasonably priced steakhouse for decent quality beef. Just pray that you turn up on a day which they're not preoccupied in their marketing attempts. I left the restaurant thinking why did she ask if it was a special occasion because they did nothing special for us. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think.

For me, Bedrock is still right up there with the crown.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Always good to get an account from someone who is paying for their food -- most food blogs are waay too generous with their reviews -- of course it tastes good if you don't haveto pay for it.

BlackCookie said...

And yes, do not waste your time. If you love your beef, go to Bedrock...

Actually, oddly enough, PepperLunch does have good ribeye but can be hit and miss. Then again, at that price, who am I to complain.