Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Smell Me.

How many times do you have the deja vu sort of feeling when there's a certain smell in the air?

Do you know our sense of smell is one of the chemical senses apart from our sense of taste?

Children can distinguish between the smell of their siblings and other children of the same age. Babies recognise their own mothers' smell and mothers recognise their own babies' smell. Emotion can be communicated by smell. Dogs and horses are very sensitive to the smell of fear in humans.

Memory and smell are intimately linked. I have walked past our own streets and the smell will actually remind me of Hong Kong or Bangkok or Shanghai. When I do, I'll recall all the times I spent in these cities. It's amazing what smells can do.

Just a trivia - Do you know our sense of smell is disabled when we're asleep which is why we're more likely to die of suffocation if a fire breaks out when we're asleep than to be awaken by the foul burnt smell? So we're all safe from farting partners, until you wake up for pee break that is.

Some scents naturally reminds us of certain people. It could be their natural odour or the combination of their bodily fluids and artificial fragrance. According to Professor Robert Winston, subtle body odours determines our choice of partners which I do not disagree because I am certainly attracted to certain people and a whiff of their smell calms me into a natural ease.

More often than not, we underestimate what our sense of smell can do to us. We actually communicate unknowingly through scents and smells.

By the way, women have been proved to be more sensitive to smell than men. Can you remember my scent?

1 comment:

Zhoos said...

can't remember your scent... it's been so long since I last saw you wat...