Friday, November 30, 2007

Rex = Beng Car?

Alot of us are guilty of hearing the mmmm psssttt and we'll just think another WRX has sprinted past. Most often than not, their ostentatious blow off valve is almost unmistakable. And we're also guilty to think that it's a "beng" car, myself included. But before you rex drivers start to blast my site, I do not think that Ah Beng drives that car but the car portrays a "beng" image. Guilty as charged?

Different cars portray different images. We often link Merc to towkays, BMWs to snob, Toyota to practicality, so on. For myself, I love my Bimmers. Some people may call me a snob. let me give you a background. I wasn't born with a silver spoon and my parents don't lavish me with expensive toys simply because they can't afford to. That does not stop me from growing to have a liking for certain material wants. There are typical girls out there who carries a couple of different Louis Vuitton bags whenever there's a new season in town. I would spend a large part of my income on my car because this is exactly what I like. That does not make me a snob. i do not look down on other cars. "Orange" drives a QQ and I think it's a great car for her, serves the very purpose she bought the car for. Everyone has different needs and priorities in life and mine happen to be warped in the minds of many of you. For me, i know I'm very clear of what I want and I work towards my goal. I don't stay back till 11pm in the office for no reason. I will not be earning big bucks just by staying in the office, working zombie hours but I know if I work hard enough, one fine day, it will be my turn behind the wheels and in particular, the rear wheel drive one.

Over the past months, I've slogged and finally, I'm seeing some results and my German ponies are glimmering slowly but strongly with hope. Please know I have earned it myself so before you judge, just think, we all love and go crazy over different things.

Back to my point, I did not and would not look down on anyone driving a rex. It's a value for money per bhp car. I don't mind driving it but really, the scooby is just not my cup of tea. First and foremost, only a RWD will convince me at this point in time. Secondly, it's the image it portrays and it's definitely not the kind of repuation I'd want to be associated with. There is nothing wrong with the image but it is just not me. We all have various considerations. Almost everone I met told me that the MINI Cooper S suits me better but based on my purposes, I have decided to shelve that.

Having said all of the above when my eyes are closing, I hope I don't wake up tomorrow and regret what I've said/typed. I still maintain the rex is a beng looking car but there is absolutely nothing wrong 2ith that comment. Not all Rex drivers are beng just like not all Merc drivers are towkays. Besides, I will continue to go "black car and gold rims?? beng leh...". I maintain to talk whatever rubbish I want on my blog... Wooooo...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dont quite get it. you think that a wrx is beng and a bmw is not? let me guess, you probably are or were a dweller.

you can work your ass off for all you want but you just cant escape from your roots. you cant wait to tell your neighbours that you have made it by buying a BMW, but at the end of it all, the newly rich always end up portraying crass over class.

Your association of snobbery with BMW? Since when is that ever true? Perhaps in the 70s and early 80s but today even the butcher at the market drives one! ok i guess if it holds true to 90% of the population then it must be true.

do apologise if i have upset you. you see, i am being a sour grape here. I am just a poor man living in a poor neighbourhood. there are more bmws in a hdb carpark than my estate. in fact we are so poor that we do not have any to show off to the world. Some of them poor neighbours are so poor that they cant even afford a bus or taxi to orchard road that they have walk there. wish we are as lucky as you people staying in hdbs, we just dont have the money to buy our bimmers here.