Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Intangible Gratification


Part of why I enjoy my job so much got to be the job satisfaction I get. Monetary aspect aside, which is of course necessary for survival, the genuine gratification I get from my candidates really touched me every now and then. Earlier this year, I placed this other girl who is although super senior in her field, she's still considered a small placement. She was in Hong Kong when I told her about the good news and she got me a really nice mobile phone strap. It's not so much what she got me but the fact that she remembered me while on holiday and made it a point to show her gratitude.

Received this card a while ago. The girl who sent me the card hasn't officially moved but will be doing it in January,so it's not absolutely done and dusted but the gesture itself made me feel that I've definitely done something right. Never in my life would I imagine myself to do what I'm doing but guess what, I'm here and totally enjoying it. Over the 1.5 years, I've learnt to close my eyes and ears to some things and close my mouth on most things. Life is alot easier this way and needless to say, I'm smiling alot more. As I slowly watch my dreams unfold itself, things coming the way exactly how I wanted it, maybe not quite there yet but it's like watching a flower slowing blooming. The joy is inexplicable.

Can't wait for my New York trip this coming Sunday. I'm trying to plan my "sleep plan" on the flight so that I don't stay awake when I get there because Zhoos has warned me that he would be very tired and wants to sleep so it is implied that I should just sleep and not bug him when I land. Would be good to counter the jet lag as well. It's already Tuesday and I've barely packed. I need to make a trip to the supermarket to pick up some stuffs and not end up with last minute frenzy on Saturday since I need to squeeze in one last wakeboarding session for this year just before I jet off.

My three weeks in New York would be a good time to take a real break after a long long year and definitely a retreat for me. I haven't got a chance to stop and take a breather this whole year except for the short Bangkok weekend during National Day. It's probably a good time to nurse the soul and to be prepared for better things to happen in the new year of 2008. Speaking of 2008, previously it seem so far away whenever we talk about Beijing Olympics but merely a wink away, it's coming in 3 weeks time! List your resolutions and see them work its way in the coming year! Time to do mine...

No comments: