Monday, March 24, 2008

Politically Correct

It was utterly astonishing when I heard this story last night. Keep your eyes open for what you are about to read for the next 5 mins.

To protect the innocent, let's just say I heard this over the grapevine. The purpose is not to implicate anyone and I'm not in politics. It's like a coffeeshop story that I've heard and voicing my opinion on it.

There's no more subtle way to put it but this is regarding a tripartite alliance around us.

Most of us are aware that welfare is not the most common thing in Singapore. This is essentially a double edge sword. To have excessive welfare breeds lazy citizens and unhappy taxpayers but the lack of it create unhappiness with the public and more often than not, there are always groups of people not being well taken care of regardless of how much the tax payers are being "punished" for. Hence, "ambassadors" of the government gladly do certain things to keep some of the voters happy and satisfied. This story is about "welfare" I deem as unfair and potentially breeds a can of worms this "ambassador" opened.

If you have got $5 in your pocket that you intend to give it to someone who really needs it, would you give it to:

a. A 7 year old child who is attending school but is unable to buy lunch. You will not get the $5 back but will probably leave a significant mark in this child's life and que sera sera from there.

b. An elderly woman who needs calcium but is too poor to buy milk powder. She will not be able to return that $5 but it keeps her alive and healthy for a while more. That smile in itself, I must say it's priceless.

c. A young graduate with proper qualifications but not working at the moment. You will get this money back someday, be it in a whole sum or installment plans.

Who would you give the money to?

To me, the choice is clear. Choices a and b are contributive in nature. The 3rd one breeds the laziness you would not want in this society which was the very reason why we do not have an extensive welfare system in the first place. If you were to give money to him, you will just create more of these examples and once the flood gates are opened, it will be just too tough to close it back up. Singapore grew on this basis of very conservative plans and giving back to you the so called freedom and such bit by bit. This is just outrageously careless of the "ambassador". And if you haven't got it by now, the "ambassador" chose to provide this unemployed young chap with money.

Haven't we all learn to teach a man to fish since we were young? We should be helping them help themselves and not be feeding these lazy pigs. Pardon the language but I can't find a better word to describe these people. Feel free to blame it on my language inability and right now, I do not wish to dwell into our meritocracy system which led to what I had gone through during my schooling days.

You are the taxpayer and ultimately, you have the voting rights. Decide what you want to do because with that vote in your hands, there's alot you can do. Very truthfully, I am myself a supporter of the incumbent because I know I'm blessed just to be right here and be able to walk on the streets safely. There are parts of the system that I'm unhappy with but on a general level, I'm contented and will be happy to bring up my kids in this environment. Despite so, these "ambassadors" should think before they do things which may appear to be trying too hard to please one person or a group of people and for that matter of fact, they should think of the consequences in long term and the awful can of worms that they may have unknowingly opened. I want to be able to help everyone but there are different ways to help these people and on top of which, this is not a perfect world so don't attempt to solve everyone's problem there and there. Think: Consequences.

1 comment:

Ivan said...

so they gave money away to the wrong ppl?