Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Old Chang Kee - The Love & Hate Relationship

For the benefit of those of you who doesn't know Old Chang Kee, it is a chain of outlets in Singapore selling deep-fried snacks. The one thing that made them really famous must be their curry puff enveloping the most juicy mixture of potatoes and chicken (with a tiny slice of egg) ever. Needless to say, it is a guilty indulgence after it's been through the evil deep frying ritual having the puff soak in some super hot unhealthy oil. Still, many follow the smell religiously and before they know it, all the weight losing program will have no whatsoever effect on them anymore.

Curry puff is probably one of the favourite snacks of Singaporeans. The preference for different "types" of curry puffs vary from person to person. Some love the thick crust, some love it thin. Some love the super spicy ones, others love the tuna filled ones. For myself, the Old Chang Kee one is good enough for me. Although I must say, A1 curry puffs come a close second but because they do not have as many outlets and aren't as accessible, they are unable to share the trophy position with Old Chang Kee. On top of that, Old Chang Kee also has got a huge array of other "poisonous" choices. My personal favourite got to be the Deep Fried Squid Head. Absolutely heavenly. Sometimes I wish they are less oily but heck!

On bad days when I lose my appetite for lunch, my tea break will consist simply of 1 Old Chang Kee curry puff and 1 squid head. Nothing more nothing less. Anything more would be giving my heart the one big reason why it should die on me. Anything less is just unsatisfying. But one thing I really hate about them... Well, the fault lies in me actually. I'm totally useless when it comes to resisting temptation and even if I'm feeling bad, I'll succumb to it as if my knees are jelly. Nuff' said...

*Started to walk to Old Chang Kee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy for my afternoon tea next time!

B.

Ivan said...

eat the squid head! CHOMP!

i like squid head too. heart.

XOXO