Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Tribute to Shandy Sim

Some time ago, I was going through the obituary and remembered pointing out to someone that the girl in the picture looked so young and so pretty and she was only 30. In my mind, I was thinking, this is another sad story and I wonder what would it be. Not long after, I chanced upon the blog of Shandy Sim from newspaper articles and other blogs. After reading the way she stayed so positive and could joke about the pains and the way life was torturing her, I was terribly moved and motivated to do something about my life which should have always been the case but we tend to all take things too easy and life for granted. As much as I'm all teary and encouraged at the point of typing this article, I know I'll revert to a slop of nothing sooner than I would like. However, my point being, all of us should look back and be thankful for what we have got. I don't even think I can ever live through the kind of pain. It also scares me that the occassional pain and aches I feel on my hip/butt joint, could be something I'd rather not want to to related to.

Her views on motherhood and kids were similar to mine. It's part and parcel of being a woman that you experience childbirth once in your lifetime. I understand not everyone agrees with me but that is solely my view. I do know of people who are happy without kids and I wouldn't see them with one either. Yes, RS4Cab Xiaohong, I'm talking about you. At some point in time, I would want to fulfil my duties as a wife and a mother.

She wrote in one of her articles named 4 Days of Crying -

"When I was diagnosed, I cried everyday. 4 days to be exact.

On the first day, I cried because there was a huge mass on my pelvic.
I hoped that it would not be cancerous.

On the second day, I cried because it was cancerous.
I hoped that it has nothing to do with my womb.

On the third day, I cried because it was cervical cancer.
I hoped that I could still have children.

On the fourth day, I cried because I was told to forget about fertility.
I stopped hoping. "

If I were her, I'd be devastated.

Taken from her first post on her blog -

"On 4 June 2008, I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Cervical Cancer.

I was 29 years, 10 months and 9 days old."


Her battle lasted for about half a year till Boxing Day when the Lord decided to bring her closer to him so he could take all the pain away from this cheery girl. I know she's in good hands now and what she left us is greater strength to press forward in life and not give up.

"Just do it..."

No comments: