Friday, January 30, 2009

Dinner Diplomacy

Until recently, I never knew there are so much details to look out for over a simple Chinese dinner. When Dentist Woo Woo told me about the subtle political moves, I didn't think much of it. Thankfully, I was brought up relatively proper, I knew my basic table manners for a Chinese dinner. Nerves still had a good hold of me but it was a mere fraction of what I went through when I first met with Moody Penguin's parents.

Upon reaching the venue, I immediately knew I was badly dressed even though there were no specific dress code. It was still Chinese New Year and the restaurant was looking like someone just spilled the same red paint all over their patrons. I came from work and had a meeting earlier that day. So a safe colour from my wardrobe would be all black. Without much colours in my closet, there was very little I could do to add more colours to myself even if I had wanted to. To be frank, I did put thought into it. I just couldn't find anything reasonable smart for work and they're not in black or white.

What are the right things to say became whole new knowledge. The general guidelines doesn't work here and the high level of superhuman powers to watch our language has just elevated itself. Nothing was safe to talk about and given the super ability to shoot off my mouth, I almost died trying to hold my tongue. Was told to be natural. It was 90% natural but the 10% was creeping forward as the dinner progressed and ironically, the more comfortable one gets, the more you find yourself watching over to avoid accidentally tripping over.

All in all, better be safe than sorry. A happy camper I am for now.

1 comment:

Ivan said...

you survived! congrats! :D