Sunday, February 01, 2009

Happy Birthday to All

Today's Dad's birthday and also all of ours. Known as "RenRi" (Man's Day), this day falls on the 7th day of the Chinese New Year. Birthdays of Chinese were traditionally celebrated on this day. So you get older during this day instead of a particular day in the calendar that marks our individual birthdays that we are more commonly used to. For Dad, it was easier. According to the way we're more used to calculating age, he's 57 this year. I'm still not used to the repeated "sudden" realisation that they are fast growing older by the day although it did hit me when it was my birthday earlier this year when I inched closer to the big 3.

Dinner at my place was never a huge affair given the space constaints but also made gatherings alot cosier. Without too much room to roam, people were forced to interact and not that it's a bad thing. To have my favourite cousin whom I'm closest to and her two princesses over was the highlight of my day although XiaoMeiren cousin never fails to be a better "daughter" to Dad. She bought him a nice cake and I on the other hand, totally forgot about it. She's like the big sister who always covers my arse. Somehow, I feel happily inadequate...

No comments: