Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pet Peeves

Everyone will have their pet peeves and bottom lines, almost like a self-defence mechanism. It may be a common peeve and one found on Wikipedia even mention what I know is a common pet peeve among many drivers here in Singapore, "Gap Snachers" - drivers who speed up to keep others from changing lanes. It is difficult to come up with a list of pet peeves that bother us because we are often unaware of what annoys us especially when it comes down to the nitty gritties. If you ask me, I think there's an inherent fear in everyone and depending on what it is, some things might just annoy the hell out of you. Most of us learn about pet peeves of friends and family over time and as you interact, others just tolerate nonsense as they come your way. In the worst case scenario, things turn ugly. Mostly, this greatly depends on the tolerance level for others within ourselves and at least for me, this tolerance level exist in exponential levels relative to the importance of the person.

As far as my memory serves me right, I remembered my Grandma wronged me on several occasions (because of an irritating younger brother which I am sure most of you can relate to...) when I was little and all I did in retaliation was to hide in my little corner and sob. There were also times when I flew into a rage but those times got far lesser as I grew older. My defence mechanism got stronger and all I did was to hide in my little corner. I was extremely upset and annoyed especially if these things are caused by those you love most.

Some little things in life may signify the bigger picture what life can bring. Pet peeves could be due to fear for things that could possibly happen in the future. For every little thing done, there could possibly be another similar act this is of a much bigger magnitude/scale. So how much would the little pet peeve set you off and how much can one tolerate? As amazing as our tolerance levels can surprise us, if pet peeves get in the way, would we still walk the walk and talk the talk?

No comments: