Monday, February 02, 2009

Twenty Six Cents

This post comes a little late but better than never. I told myself, I had to blog this because thinking about it gives me the giggles.

Was having coffee with Dentist Woo Woo end of last week and just before we met, he rang me and asked if I have got postage stamps with me. Who the hell carries stamps around with them unless you're got one stuck on each eye? Not wanting to sounds any lamer, let me continue...

So we met and I offered to walk with him to the Sam machine to purchase those stamps all for a cuppa hot milo. On the way to the machine, he blatantly revealed that he doesn't know where else he can buy a stamp without stepping into the post office. Right. This was totally forgiveble since the admin does most of the posting work and none was left for him to dirty his hands with.

When we got there, he was amused that local postage cost 26cents. To be utterly honest, I knew we had to pay GST for the stamps but I didn't know they cost 26cents either (the last price I heard was 22cents), which of course, he didn't know cuz I didn't try to exclaim how equally dumb I was and as you can see, I don't post my own mails either.

When the stamps were dispensed, they took the form of a sticker rather than the traditional square jagged edged you-gotta-lick-it-to-stick-it-stamp (this I knew very clearly that it was a stamp and not a Panini collectable sticker). I swore the look on DWW's face turned from amused to bemused. He was seriously worried if the machine cheated him out of his $2.60 since he bought 10 stamps. Which I wonder... What would he do with the other 9 stamps?

And you think my fun ended there and then? Not quite. When we were at the post box posting out this mail, he was hunting for some sign. The sign that said local postage costs 26cents! He was still in disbelief that he had to pay GST (and probably inflation) for stamps. His time stood still when local postages were a mere 20cents. I was in disbelief how a man of such intelligence and success had trouble understanding postage stamps are subject to GST as well and post office wasn't the only place you can purchase postage stamps.

All these only because he had to get a small cheque out to a car club to "chope" his membership.

I had an amused Friday and I dare say, I worked hard for that Milo.

No comments: