Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ignorance Is Bliss?

In response to glamourous tai tais with their cheating husbands, I maintained that probably what you don't know will not hurt you. After seeing and hearing more than enough episodes to compile to have my own local version of 真情 (The longest running Hong Kong TVB serial), I can't say the same anymore. Coupled with the unimaginable, inexplicable ability that most women and some men have - The sixth sense. Many times, it's more than merely twitching eyelid, be it left or right, the physical reaction extends to heart palpitation, intense perspiration and short breaths.

Whatever happened to "knowing your enemies (知己知彼)"? With the advantage of information, one could fight a battle fully aware of the potential danger and Achilles' Heel of your enemy, hence, the chances of winning a battle rises exponentially. In a situation where the enemy doesn't attack, would ignorance been a better strategy than true schemes? The fear of knowing some things might happen might be worse than the actual battle itself. Take my only ever bungee jump in my lifetime, I was elevated via a creaky crane. Looking down through the seemingly weak platform with holes to allow one to see their way right down, created the best fear factor for me. I was nudged off the edge of the platform because I didn't had the courage to take the leap. All I could remember of the jump after that was the continuous scream on my way down and semi-permanent wrinkles that lasted for a few hours all because my facial features were squashed up by my scream during the jump. The anticipation of the jump was insane. I couldn't imagine what went through the heads of suicide victims when they were standing on the corner of the ledge.

If you're someone who believes in ignorance being the ultimate bliss like what I used to believe, what if one fine day, you stumbled upon packs of lies built on your foundation of your years of bliss, would the pain be any lesser than the little pains put together over the years which you could at some point in time be in control of your life and choose the life you want to lead? But of course, these are things we can't quantify, neither would I attempt you. No one has the absolute answer for such things. Some people even live in denial to prevent feeling the pain. But who is to say this person never shed a tear before bedtime. Is ignorance bliss for you?

2 comments:

Ivan said...

bliss is not having to leave home.

BlackCookie said...

Awww Pui Pui-est... So sorry... Sob sob...