Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New Creation's New Creation

New Creation Church raised $19 million in less than 24 hours.

Firstly, I can't wait to see the building up soon. Then we won't have to attend services in the 3rd overflow room anymore. Rejoice!

My main purpose for this entry is not actually to talk about how much the church managed to raise to fund the new premise which I do not deny in itself, it is a huge blessing.

What scared me was a comment in the article - Graduate student Huang Wei Hsuan, 26, who is not a member of the church, felt that part of the funds could be used to "help those who are really in need, instead of being fully used to construct a new building".

As a 26 year old graduate student, she can actually be oblivious to what actually causes the economy to move and pick up again. If funds are always going to the needy, economy will never pick up and more people will join the ranks of the needy. I'm not saying we shouldn't help them but projects of such, should be carried out because such injections creates employment. The very basic of economics. Do you know how many jobs such a project will create and how money will grow money? In fact if Singapore can have 20 of projects of this scale, I can almost guarantee you, recession will be over sooner than you think.

Please remember only in good times, people are more willing to give. And during bad times, it's not because we're unwillingly but because we have lost the ability to. We should be focused on regaining the ability to give than to fault people for not giving.

For myself, I had to reduce my contributions to my sponsored child and I know that it isn't fair to him at all. But when it comes to my own survival, I did what I could. I have continued to sponsor him albeit with a smaller amount as compared to the usual monthly contribution I did previously. But I too hope the economy can pick up and I can continue to give what I used to or even more.

Much of our younger generations should open their eyes and not be so narrow minded. Please do not get me wrong that I'm trying to defend my own church. Everyone has a right to judge for what they see. To me, I just gave with a willing heart. But you have to have the right knowledge to be objective. I think great leaders have their reasons to ask the people to go out and spend...

5 comments:

Ivan said...

how much of that money goes back to singaporean pockets, instead of foreign construction firms, labourers?

BlackCookie said...

Some of the exact dollar and cents can't be calculated in exact but we need to get the economy moving. Imagine there's construction, these workers even if they are foreign, they need to eat, then they pay for their food, the money that people earn from them buying food will go onto somewhere... It's a cycle. It's when people stop spending or can't afford to spend anymore that is truly scary...

Ivan said...

and when you've spent all, who's giving you more?

BlackCookie said...

Spending is for people who are making... Use the spending to improve the quality of your life or whatever makes you happy but bottom line, you must be able to afford it. Same thing for the donors, people who gave are probably comfortable... The church hasn't once impose on the churchgoers to give...

Marquis_De_Sade said...

I truly agree on the economic injection aspect of this particular project. The only thing that twiddle me for a bit was perhaps the sheer finance weight anchored in such short call period. The supposed irony is that in time where the same sum was required to be serviced to Singaporean communities, how long would it take?

On a different note, some guys out there will be smiling at their next tax rebate statement. *LOL*