Saturday, October 13, 2012

Cycling Cleats

Hear it from the newbie...

Whenever you see cyclists after they dismount from their bikes, they start to walk funny. That's because they are on cycling cleats. These are attachments that are permanently fixed onto your cycling shoes which will eventually "click in" with their other half of the magnetic combo that's affixed to the bike. For seasoned cyclists, clicking in and out of their cleats is second nature but to newbies like me, one will need to give it some time to get accustomed to the cleats. Otherwise, the end result would be a fall. Or in some cases like mine, a couple of falls.

 

Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I had a (rather embarrasing) fall during my first day on my cleats when I was practising outside Fat Cat Cycles. I suffered a couple of bruises and I was a brave little girl, up and running (rather, cycling) again. I became wary every time when I'm needed to approach a stop, let alone traffic lights with cars all around me. Well, the topic on safety for Singaporean cyclist will need to wait...

 

Just when I thought I've gotten the hang of things...

 

Was out on a ride with some chaps and as we approached the lagoon for our Cheng Tng, in full view of the diners, I came to a complete stop and shifted my weight to the correct side. However, I didn't realise that a slight twitch of the handle bar would send me the other way. And it did. So now you have it, more bruises on the shin, thighs and ego.

 

Aren't they gorgeous? Well, these cleats look GREY in flesh and if you're expecting it to be white, be prepared to be disappointed.

No comments: