Tuesday, January 07, 2014

The Holy Grail of Beef

This comes very late since I've been busy with my new job right after my Japan trip. Before my trip, I researched on the best beef you can find in Japan (eg. Kobe, Matsuzaka). 

In Osaka, I trekked for hours until I found Steak Ron before I was told that they don't serve Kobe beef for lunch. So I hung around Umeda which was painful because they were all uninspiring malls which are dime a dozen even here in Singapore. Like all meals you get in Japan, they all come in sets. For the first time in my life, I had sushi and for many people, beef sushi. And if you're wondering, yes, a raw slice of beef sitting on a ball of sushi rice. The garlic was heavenly but the beef was a let down. To be fair, it is decent but definitely not mind blowing. Interesting experience but not worth the trekking. 




After arriving in Tokyo, I headed straight to Imahan. My hotel was right smack in the middle of Shinjuku, so is Takashimaya. Plus it's time to eat something more Japanese instead of steak... Right? Since I didn't have a budget for my food expedition, I didn't think twice which I should have. Imahan does shabu-shabu and sukiyaki. When they served the beef, it's got to be the most beautiful 5 marbling on beef I've even seen in my life. But for that price, I felt ripped off. I had to drop by Lawson to grab myself instant noodles after my dinner. Most expensive and least satisfying meal. 


So you're wondering "where the heck is the Holy Grail"?

*drumroll*

Tucked in the little town of Kichijoji, about 15-20 minutes train ride from Shinjuku, sits an inconspicuous steakhouse on the second floor of a shophouse. The first floor is the Satou Butchery and you wouldn't miss it as there's a perpetual queue for their deep fried stuffed beef balls which I didn't have a chance to try. I will do so in March when I visit Tokyo again. 

So how do you get there?


Once you arrive at Kichijoji JR station, leave the station via the North exit. Cross the road, stop for a cigarette, and follow the smell of the beef. After you crossed the road, turn left and you will see an alleyway of shops. At the end of the alleyway, you will come to somewhat of a cross junction. On your left, you will see Steak House Satou. Do not join the queue on the first floor. Go to the side, you will see another queue on the stairway. Join that queue for the best experience of your life. The restaurant is very small and can seat probably between 14-16 people which explains the queue. There are various cuts and options but I headed for the 10000yen beef without batting my eyelid. The service there was impeccable. The friendly waiter even brought my perfectly marbled steak out for a photo opportunity. A photo which I wouldn't post because my eye was swollen from eczema. 



Japanese beef doesn't taste quite as "beefy" as their American counterpart but the marbling just means the juices of the beef will explode in your mouth. It's extremely smooth and tender. 



For my next trip there, I will try the regular matsu and update you guys. I can't wait!!!

No comments: