Monday, August 13, 2007

Grumpiness Never Takes A Holiday

Stupid windows recognises the network and everything on my God-damn screen is in Thai. It's been a good few days and looking at the way I’m getting used to the massages here, you guys might have to wait a little while before you have me back in Singapore. I won't be able to go for dinner with "CCM creator" and "Twiggy" until i get back but wait for me, I’ll go have some neat sashimi.

I would never ever classify myself as a workaholic but whenever the internet connection fails me, I'd be depressed and desperate. Totally handicapped. I need to check my email regularly but then again, i need to be thankful that I do not have a Blackberry. Yet. Until that day, i will pretend that i love my work so much that I have to be on the internet 24/7.

Things never seem to move when I'm back home and suddenly, I have interviews flying around and hopelessly impossible new roles to fill flooding my inbox. When will the GLCs ever learn that if they're not paying (enough), people are not moving. Then comes the difficulty of my job - These people need to move before I bloody get paid and sometimes, i feel like a fool for telling people that they're moving for so many other reasons so we'll have to not look at the dollar factor. Truth is, few companies are going to be vastly different from the one next door. Lawyers still get overworked, overpaid. Many still don't get to go home to their kiddies. Well, which explains why they often have their family portrait sitting on their desk - to remind them how their spouses and kids actually look like.

Even while I’m on holiday, I’m still freaking upset with work. Offers are still disappointing, clients are seeing the weirdest candidates, good candidates are left with the second class choices and most importantly, I’m not going to be the one placing these people. Part of the fun in this job is meeting interesting people but unfortunately, people like me feels the pain the most when we can't get these candidates good offers or interviews to begin with. "He who thinks he's a freaking elitist" wouldn't be feeling any pain but he brings the dough to the king at the end of the day. Does that make me a terrible recruiter?

I'm so sick and tired of the roller-coaster nature of this job which happens to be the exact reason how I fell in love with it in the first place. It's just harsh when reality sits in and really, we're not living in a bed of roses as much as I’d love to think so. What do I really want in life?

No comments: