Thursday, September 20, 2007

Small Toe Popped

Double shock! I just found out that when I was calling my friend "Small Toe - Not because she's got a small toe but cuz we used to have a lecturer, we called him big thumb. Yes it's Tham & Toh and it was a joke I can't recall", she was in the delivering room ready to pop. Just got a text message a while ago announcing the birth of the baby. Good gracious. Now my hands are freezing cold from the shock. It's amazing how I can still find the energy to send these gorgeous flowers across.



And I conveyed my shock in the note that went with the flowers.
"Congratulations Babe! I'm still in shock having only to find out by accident last night that you were pregnant and the next thing I know, you actually popped. Very happy for your new bundle of joy and enjoy the motherhood... Oh and the sleepless nights to come!

With Abundance of Hugs & Kisses, "


I am so going to cuddle the baby tonight... Sigh, feeling like I'm lagging behind in life. I'm so happy for her. Could hear the joy in her now motherly voice...

On an entire separate note, just had a very infuriating exchange with someone from the Board of Legal Education.

First, I sent an email to check if one of my candidates could be admitted.

Then he replied with a shitload of bollocks.
I refer to your email dated 20 September 2007.

2. In order to be admitted as an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore, one must be a "qualified person" within the meaning of Section 2 of the Legal Profession Act [Cap. 161, 2001 Revised Edition], read with the Legal Profession (Qualified Persons) Rules 2001 (R15 2002 Revised Edition) (Rules), the Legal Profession (Qualified Persons) (Amendment) Rules 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. Upon being a "qualified person" you are eligible to be admitted to the Singapore Bar provided you attend and pass the Postgraduate Practical Law Course; keep the dining terms and serve a statutory period of pupillage. Please refer to Item C of our webpage at www.lawsociety.org.sg/ble.

3. Subject to Rule 10 (Item I of our webpage) and as the Rules stand, one shall be a "qualified person" if one pursues the Bachelor of Laws degree from the National University of Singapore with at least a 2nd Class Lower Honours or if the university and the degree conferred by him/her are, respectively, one of the university and one of the degrees from United Kingdom specified in the First Schedule (Item N of our webpage) and in the case of him/her who has been or is conferred that degree on or after 1st January 1997, he/she has-

(a) attained at least upper second class honours (3 years full-time internal candidate); and

(b) obtained the Diploma in Singapore Law conducted by the National University of Singapore.

4. Pursuant to the Legal Profession (Qualified Persons) (Amendment) Rules 2004 which came into effect on 30 March 2004, only Citizens and Permanent Residents of Singapore who obtained an LLB (Honours) degree from United Kingdom will be recognised for admission to the Singapore Bar. You may wish to refer to Item L2 of our webpage.

5. For further information on admission to the Singapore Bar, you are advised to visit our webpage.


So I replied,
I know the legalities and the reason for sending her brief background was because she falls in the grey area of S15 (2) of the Legal Profession Act. So to avoid confusion and misrepresentation to my clients, I need to have a definite answer from the board if the person stated in my previous email can be admitted to the Singapore Bar based on her background.

Look forward to hearing from you.


Then he called to scream at me. He went like, "So what you wanna know." After trying to be nice, afterall I need a favour right, he just went like, "No!" and hung up. WTF!!! At the very least, have some courtesy to say bye then hang up nicely. What kind of people do they hire over there? Stupid or ding dong?

FUMING!

OK back to the baby, (breathe...), she's 3 kg (about 6 lbs) and with a beautiful Mom like Small Toe, she's got to be gorgeous. All the best and hope she grows up slowly, wait for my kids to come along to play with her. Yeah, very long wait...

No comments: