Monday, March 10, 2008

Hopes And Dreams... And Patience

It's one of those mood swings you might have to put up with so don't go away and keep your eyes glued, though I've got nothing fabbo for you to read. I don't exactly know the cause of it but I'm in a crappy mood. Could be a combination of things but I won't speculate or be bothered to dissect myself. Gloomy... That's right.

Managed to catch The Leap Years with Mao Meen last week. From a very selfish point of view, I enjoyed the movie because I could relate to what it was trying to say.

Synopsis:

Some years ago, while conducting an English language workshop on a hot, dreary afternoon for a large group of students in Singapore, I suddenly felt sorry for them, and decided to tell them a story. It was a romantic love story calculated to make any sixteen-year-old sit up and listen with full attention. I told them about a young Singaporean girl who unexpectedly meets her dream man on a special day - 29 February 1988 - when a quaint old Leap Year custom allows women to make the first move in a romantic encounter. Our heroine does precisely that. Hereafter she and the dream man, both exceptionally attractive and brimming with life's hopes and dreams, are caught in a dizzying spin of events that Fate seems to like visiting upon young lovers. "You will come together at last. But not yet, not yet," says Fate mischievously.

The lovers meet every 29 February over 12 years, in breathless negotiations of the many pitfalls along the path of true love which has never run smooth anyway, before their hopes are finally fulfilled in a spectacular millennial culmination worthy of love's loftiest dreams.


"You will come together at last. But not yet, not yet," says Fate mischievously.

The story line stirred me right to the last bone. People need to be patient and wait just to find true love, what is meant for you, all long written in our fate. As much as fate is something that I have doubts about, I don't question the fact that we all need to be patient waiting for the right moment to come. It's all fiction which is exactly why the girl could wait for 12 solid years. In reality, the scene whereby the girl finally married an excellent catch would have came much earlier. As romantic as anyone can be, no one will wait 4 years just for the second date. When Wong Li Lin finally lied to him and told her she's got a kid, I can imagine this exact scene in real life except that it's not a lie, this person could possibly be married and be holding a real 2 year old kid in her arms.

Waiting is painful and it drives people nuts but like the story, we all buy it because we're all hopeless romantics believing in finding true love. Different people has different threshold and capacity for being patient. I never knew I can be so weightlessly patient. Maybe not that light but it wasn't as painful as before. I suppose with sufficient faith, anything can happen. But that doesn't automatically qualify that there's no cap to that. I'm not the most efficient person but I work by deadlines. Datelines are either determined by someone with specific spoken dates or emotional scales. But what is my dateline? Be patient and my storyline will be revealed in time to come. The pen is ready... Waiting for the right book to appear. Be it the one on the shelf or brand new one from Prints, it waits to be seen. Call me naive but I still believe in true love... I do...

No comments: