Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Contentment Makes Life Cheaper to Maintain

It's been a few weeks at work and I'm drowning further. Having a great boss helped ease the load a fair bit but the opportunities given to me should not be undermined. I may not have a healthy bank account as most of us would like. I am, however, really thankful for the opportunity to learn in the job and as the days pass by, I am more in control of my jurisdiction. The steep learning curve has not deterred me in any way. In fact, it has pushed me to my limits and this limits kept seeing new peaks. At times, I was be amazed at my elasticity to stretch beyond what I would ever imagine.

Weekends have taken whole new meanings to "a darn good rest". All I want would be to stay at home and sleep with impromptu mahjong sessions slotted in between. My last weekend was exceptionally unforgettable with very little sleep but extremely fulfilled. I kinda like how my cash-poor, soul-rich life right now.

Saturday was a whole day event with Percival and MyPlyn's wedding. As a "jie-mei", I had to wake up early and work for "ang pow". All is done in good fun with the groom sweating his last drop my perspiration out. The banquet was held in St.Regis. Food was decent despite the bad reviews on the insufficiency in food portions. Personally, I thought it was alright and to top it all, the menu did not have any sharks' fin. Most wedding dinners should adopt this as sharks' fins can easily be replaced. In this case, each guest was served with a whole abalone, albeit it wasn't huge.

Sunday was the charity event that set me out to write this post. Together with some MediaCorp artistes and RJC, one of the car forums that I tend to be rather active in, was involved in a charity event for Boon Lay constituency called "Bring A Hope".



The objective is to deliver some food and to find out the wishes of the individual families and come Christmas, we will try to fulfil their wishes. Growing up in a dual income family, I hardly came across extreme poverty in Singapore. And by saying that, I mean people who can't even afford their next meals. All they were wishing for were food and very little of luxuries. Domestic violence and drug addiction seemed prevalent in the neighbourhood. I've always been painted the beautiful picture that Singaporeans have little to worry about in terms of food at the very least. That wasn't the case at all. But of course, there were a couple of families which would refuse to even help themselves which made it hard for others to want to help them. There was a family when asked if they would like to work if offered a job, the answer we got was, "Too tired, don't want to work. No money. I want money" I only believe that God will only help those who help themselves. I can teach you how to fish but I can't be supplying you fishes forever.

This event was very meaningful because it made me feel so fortunate that I have a job, I know I can afford lunch and dinner, I have got proper limbs and a great mind to take me through life's journey. With contentment, my life is surprisingly filled with more smiles. That is how I feel about my current job as well. Until I finally get drowned in the pile of emails.

No comments: