Saturday, September 05, 2009

Painting The Bank Account Red

The trip is coming to an end. Massive shopping was done and I painted both the town and my bank account red. If it means I need to drink soya sauce for breakfast, lunch and dinner when I get back, I'd have to brace for a new kidney. Shopping ain't exactly cheap but the variety is awesome. Bargaining is totally foreign to me and it makes me feel totally useless. Going around taking pictures without my face inside seems a little like postcard photography and after a few shots, you shouldn't be amazed that I gave up on that idea altogether. Instead of having giant faces, I chose to save some battery life. Even then, travelling by yourself isn't that bad an idea at all. At the very least, you spend minimum amount of time whereever you don't want to be in and vice versa. More grounds get covered and of course, more shopping gets done. If you're a single female traveller, some not so marvellous tips which essentially worked for me over the years. Probably only applicable for city trips with shopping involved.

1. Have a travel wallet with your cards and the rest of the cash closeby yet unaccessible. (Common sense, I know) Have a little pouch with one essential shopping credit card and the cash that you're prepared to spend for the day. This way, you can effectively watch your spending as well. And look who's talking...

2. Always carry a big bag that can be secured with at least 3 smaller compartments. You'd never know what you're gonna buy.

3. When in doubt, follow the crowd. (And I mean the right crowd... If you trail behind some old ladies, you'll end up in their shopping district. If you choose shady guys...)

4. Have some water and tissues with you all the time.

5. iPod makes your long subway trips

6. Comfy walking shoes. Some places just keeps you walking and walking and walking and walking... They may be ugly but they keep you alive and your legs/feet happy.

7. Maps. You may not know how to read it but have one with you!

8. Mobile. For obvious reasons... And have at least a few emergency quick dials on hand just in case. The mobile must always be handy.

Although I may not be the most experienced traveller around, there are just some guidelines I have for myself.

Lastly, I do not wanna go home!

No comments: