Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Creating Dreams

Cakes have always been the age old celebratory tool we have all enjoyed and experienced too many times in our lifetime. Be it birthdays or weddings, it is a must. From old pictures, I had my first birthday cake shaped after the number "1". Subsequently, birthday cakes for me became smaller or in recent years, non-existent. The design of cakes, however, did not stop at traditional designs which we now consider it to be cheesy.

While surfing local confectionary sites, I salivated not at my favourite passion fruit meringue which my loveliest Meiren Cousin got me for my birthday a couple of years back, I was going through pictures of their amazing combinations of croquembouche and cupcakes. Although I've always wondered why have they not ventured into croquembouche of macarons, the gallery was enough to keep me busy for a while.

As my excitement level grew, I decided to feast my eyes with more beautiful pictures of confectionary, cakes in particular. Our very own talent, Cheryl Shuen, has never failed to amaze me time and again. If Vera Wang is to wedding gowns, Cheryl Shuen is to wedding confectionary in Singapore. I have to say that her popularity has a part to play in limiting her creativity but I'm always excited to see her new masterpieces on her blog. Essentially, she's selling a dream. A very beautiful dream that most brides & grooms would want her touch on their cake if given no limiting budget.

To not sound like a frog in my own well, I have seen even crazier, prettier designs and some are out of this world. They make you gasp for air and will catch you lost for your own words. But given the stifling environment in Singapore and the high cost of setting up a business, it's amazing that she was not discouraged then and went on to make a name for herself in the industry. For that, I have to applaud her courage and genuine ability. This girl is selling not just cakes but dreams and hopes. Even being able to see her finished work on her blog forces me to have nothing but respect and of course, much smiles every now and then when I return for a visit. Looking at her cakes make me happy.

No comments: