Friday, January 15, 2010

Mad For Garlic

Wanted to share a latest yet understated discovery. For all the foodies (like myself) out there, you have got to try this place.




My first encounter with Mad For Garlic was when I was in Seoul sometime last year. The food impressed me hence my excitement when I found out that they are in SG. Take a walk down Suntec and right opposite Harry's (beside Top Shop), you will find this restaurant tucked in the corner and IMO, not doing it much justice. The vaguely gothic design reflects a simplified version of what they are in Seoul and I actually prefer the SG one.That said, here comes the most important part. The food...

How can you go to a restaurant with a name like "Mad For Garlic" and not have garlic bread? Now, here's their version of Garlic Bread. It's in a tower and after flattening it up, it cuts in 4 x 1.5" size. Feeds 2-4 comfortably. Absolutely yummy and it doesn't have the yucky pungent smell of garlic. At least I didn't burp garlic at the end of the meal... The bread was fresh and HOT OUT OF THE OVEN. Absolutely love it! My only gripe was that I should have asked for some olive oil to dip it in which I didn't because I wanted to have it original. Will try that on my next visit though.




Now comes the main. Unfortunately, I was too quick in gobbling down my favourite Garlic Snowing Pizza which has a generous yet just about right amount of cheese on it. It's the new Hawaiian! Then again, if you're allergic to shrimps, then please try this other pizza with 4 cheeses. Forgot the name but tasted as heavenly. The pizza selection is by far my favourite over the others including their very own menu of risottos and other dishes. I'm biased cuz their pizzas made me wanna go back for more ALL THE TIME. I guess that's what they call CRAVING!!!

And me, being a fan of good steak, I'm usually very particular. I get disappointed easily with horribly or overly cooked beef. I love mine medium rare and that was it. Even then, I plucked up enough courage to order the following dish which I totally forgot the name. (Yes, good food does that to you...) I was so prepared to get disappointes, as they say about having high expectations... And guess what, I wasn't. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised with how the beef turned out. It was succulent and soft. The rice was a little too spicy for my liking cuz haha, I can't take spicy food at all. But I guess I could have requested for them to have it less spicy. But those of you who like spicy food, they have got a great selection of really hot stuffs.





If you have got a private event to host for a small group, they even have a private room. Managed to sneak a picture for you guys...




Now here comes the most important part for some of you... The pricing. I guess for many of us, if the food is good, the price wouldn't be too much to consider but this is definitely not gonna burn a hole in your pocket. On average, I would say it ranges from $20 to $40 per pax. At about $30 per pax, it's quite a comfortable meal.

Service wise, the staffs are very young and inexperienced. They do make blunders that makes you roll your eyes. But somehow, they're rather sincere so I kinda forgave them for it. And them being a new restaurant, it'll take a bit of time for the staffs to be fully trained up. Meanwhile, good food is enough to keep me going back for more.

No comments: