Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Count On Me Singapore

Happy Birthday Singapore and to be absolutely honest, without googling, I have no idea which birthday we are celebrating. I'm not going to pretend to be a saint but as you get older, you lose track of the number of candles on the cake, don't you. not really considering I'm hitting the big 3-0 in January. Big plans on the way and for once, one that involves just me and no one else. Maybe by then, I might get myself a travel partner or one who's for life.

In years, this is one of the rare occasion that I'm actually sitting at home, right in front of the telly, watching the live telecast of the National Day Parade. Previous years, I can be found drinking somewhere with some friends while trying to catch glimpses of the parade on the telly that no one's paying much attention to.

Singing along to Majulah Singapura triggered this spurt of patriotism. But what actually is patriotism. Compared to the Kamikaze spirit from the Japanese' Samurai culture, how many out there would actually die for the country when we are finally called for. As the Chinese saying goes, 养兵千日,用在一时。I started to question myself if I would risk my life when the enemies come marching in one day or will I pack my bags and call another country home? Nobody knows until we're put through the test one day. All talk is cheap.

Back to the parade, Singapore National Day Parade Choir 2010 reminded me of the times when I was in school and was forced to attend such activities reluctantly. Now that we're all grown-up, we look back and feel sorry for the kids. Then again, Singaporean kids are so spoilt, they aren't even bothered to fake a smile. The only adjective I can think of while staring at those sad faces is 'unenergetic'. Can I blame them? If I put myself in their shoes, I might don such a face but the educators behind them, should shoulder the responsibility to enforce the understanding of their importance during such a glorious parade. Before I start contradicting myself, being absolutely fair, we are in position to judge these kids. The way they are brought up is entirely different from our time. Now that sentence made me feel old the moment it escaped my fingers.

Still, I can't help feeling proud of the nation because for every man on the parade, there are thousands behind them that hold the same passport and go through hours of discomfort and labour for us who are watching the parade in the comfort of our couch and in my case, my very comfortable bed. Just when I'm fantasizing being in Kit Chan's shoes serenading the crowd with "Home",

As I listen to the beautiful voices, I thought of our very own first Prime Minister, now Minister Mentor "you know who". During those times, we needed the iron fist that ruled without the fatherly smile. Undoubtedly, because of his beliefs and strength, we are what we are today. A small dot on the big map, with a name impossible to ignore. However, my personal favourite for a Prime Minister has got to be Goh Chok Tong. I remembered looking forward to his rallies although at that age, they meant very little to me. Trying my hardest to get his jokes, I chuckle with every bit of the humour I could grasp. I can't simply explain how close I feel to this man but he made me as proud as I am of my old man who did everything within his means to provide me with a better life.

Now, the one scene that disturbed me was a son who didn't not help his aging father to be seated. Before I get charged under the ISA, I'm going to stop my comments. I'm so being watched.

No comments: